Fertility massage is designed as a protocol to enhance a couple’s potential to conceive naturally or with assisted reproductive technology. The intention of this therapeutic fertility massage session is to support the body in cleansing, reducing stress hormones, balancing reproductive hormones and stimulating the reproductive organs with reflexology. It is also designed to support the client achieving a state of balance emotionally, with visualizations, affirmations and prayer for those who feel comfortable with that focus. Essential oils are added to the massage oil to tonify the reproductive systems. Castor oil packs are applied on the abdomen during the session for the cleansing effect.
The Benefits of Fertility Massage
There are a number of great advantages that you can receive from regular fertility massage. Most commonly, the benefits of fertility massage include:
- On the level of circulation, fertility massage helps to remove old or stagnated blood from the uterus and invigorate fresh blood to the reproductive organs
- Lessens the likelihood of clotting from menstrual blood
- Eases and lessens pain associated with the menstrual cycle
- Assists with the natural hormone balance
- Can help to correct a tilted uterus
- Increases the level of oxygenated blood reaching the eggs and, therefore, benefits overall egg health
- Can help to break down fibroids and cysts
- Breaks down adhesions and scar tissue caused by injuries or invasive procedures, which may be impairing fertility
- Can help to regulate the menstrual cycle where there is either a short or excessively long cycle
- Promotes healthy liver function
- Helps to reduce excessive water retention in the uterus and Fallopian tubes
- Can assist in moving blockages from the Fallopian tubes
- Improves relaxation by reducing stress
Due to these benefits, any woman receiving fertility massage will benefit from the therapy. However, it can be especially useful for women who may be suffering from conditions affecting the menstrual cycle, who have physical material that needs to be broken down and moved from the reproductive system and, or who are experiencing a lack of blood circulation in the womb and ovaries.
Trying to conceive can become a stressful experience for people who are having difficulties. Through the use of fertility massage, it allows for the reduction of stress in the body and mind, in addition to decreasing the number of cortisol hormones are in circulation.
Fertility Massage for Specific Infertility Issues
There are a number of fertility issues that a woman may experience. The following conditions may especially benefit for this kind of treatment:
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) – In PCOS, fertility massage may help to break down the cysts and assist with a more natural hormone balance.
- Blocked Fallopian Tubes – When the tubes are blocked it may be possible to assist with the removal of the blockages through the use of the correct massage techniques applied to the right areas.
- Twisted Fallopian Tubes – Through regular massage, it can sometimes be possible to help correct the position and shape of the Fallopian tubes.
- Endometriosis – It may be possible to help break down the excessive growth of endometrial tissue caused from endometriosis in some women. However, fertility massage is unlikely to be a cure for this condition alone.
- Fibroids – The massage techniques may be able to break down fibroids when regularly applied over time.
- Hormonal Imbalance – By invigorating the movement of fresh, oxygenated blood in the reproductive are and the gentle stimulation of the ovaries, fertility massage may be able to help with the regulation of hormonal imbalance.
- Amenorreah (no menstruation) – This is a common condition, which affects many women. If there is an absence of the periods then it will be highly unlikely that conception will be possible. However, fertility massage can be beneficial in helping the menstrual cycle to return.
- Poor Egg Nourishment – By increasing the flow of oxygenated blood to the ovaries, fertility massage can help to improve egg quality, production and nourishment.
Contraindications of Fertility Massage
If you are having fertility massage from a qualified practitioner, then they will advise you on the best times to have fertility massage and if there may be any reasons for them not to apply the therapy.
The contraindications for fertility massage include:
- During the menstrual cycle – Fertility massage is not to be applied during menstruation as it will interfere with the flow of blood through the uterus, Fallopian tubes and ovaries and may cause pain.
- While pregnant – Fertility massage is forbidden during pregnancy, and especially during the first trimester as it could disturb the fetus, which may lead to the death of the fetus.
- Prior to or soon after any operation of the reproductive system or pelvic area.
- If you suffer from any health issues then always consult with your doctor for advice and guidance before having fertility massage or applying the therapy yourself.
When To Apply The Fertility Massage
When applying fertility massage it is important to consider the phases of the menstrual cycle. Typically, a normal functioning menstrual cycle is of a duration of 28 days, of which, there are 4 distinct phases.
The menstrual cycle has four phases:
- Menstrual – day 1-5
- Follicular – day 1-13
- Ovulation – day 14
- Luteal – day 15-28
As stated previously, fertility massage is not to be applied during menstruation. Secondly, the therapy should also not be administered during the luteal phase. The reason for this is to avoid any chances of miscarriage should conception take place after the ovulation phase.
The optimal time to apply this massage therapy is once the menstrual phase has finished and before the ovulation phase begins.
For these reasons, it is very important for a woman to monitor her cycle to become clear on the days when she is at the different stages of the cycle from month to month.